Friday 14 October 2011

How to make a robe de cour in six weeks and hopefully not go crazy, part 5


At the moment I feel like all my waking time is spent sewing. It’s little more than a week to the ball and I have to make a white domino for my darling as well. What I have done so far is this.

Hour 14-17 Stitching extra boning channels down the front and across. Linen canvas and inserted boning made it quite a hassle.


Hour 18-24 Covering the tabs with velvet as well as covering the back edges with velvet. The bodice of Sofia Magdalena’s robe de cour has the tabs both covered and lined separately and I think it makes it much easier. However, that bodice has the tabs edged with silk ribbon and I just folded the velvet to the back and stab-stitched it into place. The sole reason for that is the fact that I didn’t have any silk ribbons at home.



Hour 25-27 Covering the shoulder straps with velvet.

Hour 28-32 Lined the tabs and the shoulder straps with white linen and padded them with combed wool. I think the wool will really makes a difference when it comes to wearing comfort.





Hour 33 and counting Covering the bodice with velvet. I used the original pattern as template and re-drafted it with an eye to the pattern of Sofia Magdalena’s bodice. So far I have attached the front-side pieces and am currently working on the first back-side piece.



Then I need pad and line it and, which I’m a bit worried about, do the sleeves. Sleeves and I don’t get along… And if you didn’t know it, white cats and silk velvet goes very well together. At least if you ask the cat.

9 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow! What an ambitious project. I've never seen anyone recreate a robe de cour. How cool! Did you draft your own pattern? Can't wait to see the final result!

Madame Berg said...

You HAVE to bring the cat as an accessory, you do realise that, right?

Isis said...

Caroline: I have found a few, but not many. For some reason it isn't a popular gown to make... Yes, I have drafted it myself, basing it on my true and tried stay pattern.

Madame Berg: Yes, it WOULD be quite striking, wouldn't it. But he wouldn't behave...

ZipZip said...

Dear Isis,
Goodness, I did not know robes de coeur were padded! In the winter, splendid, but in summer? Eek. The padding should bring such depth to the gown though, and combined with the velvet, wow.

Miss Kitty needs just a velvet bow and a basket to hide in, and she is ready for the ball; perhaps she can sit under the queen's chair and scare mice away, like the kitty in the old rhyme.

Very best,

Natalie

Anonymous said...

Jag hejar på dig, hoppas att du hinner bli klar i tid!

Olympe de la Tour D'Auvergne said...

You should take the extra velvet scraps and make a cat pillow for the adorable kitty! Seems like it's going well, good luck with the rest!

Isis said...

Nathalie: I don't think all were. :) There are several extant stays in Sweden that have extra wool padding- perhaps it was with an eye to the cold Swedish winters.

It's a Mr. Cat and I'm sure he would enjoy the attention! He is more like a dog than a cat in his temper and loves to be adored by people. But he would insist on sitting on the table, I'm afraid...

Lady Augusta: Tack så mycket!

Comtesse Olympe: He's like that, I'm sure! I'm not so sure it's a good idea to spoil him mora than he already is, though... :)

Rhissanna said...

I'm just in awe of your work!

Isis said...

Rhissanna: Thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...